Wednesday 13 October 2010

Giles Cook - Conversation


I contacted Giles cook this morning and he got back to me straight away, I was really glad to read that he has invited me over to his studio to chat to him and look through my portfolio. Its great that he can take the time out his business to talk to me and help me out after just one email, it really shows how genuine some designers can be. So hopefully will be popping in next week sometime, very exciting.
Hello 
I've been on your website and I am really interested in the work that you do, your very clean crisp approach is something I admire.
I understand that you are very busy but I have put a link to my portfolio blog and would love to hear anything you have to say. I want to gain a more professional insight into my work so if you could give me any feedback or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. If you could also suggest other designers/company’s that might be interest in my work that would be very helpful as well.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you very much 
Rebecca Liggins
BA (Hons) Graphic Design
Leeds College of Art
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Rebecca,



Many thanks for the mail you sent, always good to hear from other people in the industry. I have been working now for over 15 years and you can easily fall into doing the same type of work, for a similar type of client, so it is always nice to see what people are doing when they come out of college.

Your work is nice, very illustrative, and interesting with some great touches. Your next challenge is to find a market you could operate in to use your skills, what drives you to do what you want to do, do you want to stick to an illustrative style, or aim for a more corporate direction? it's a case of looking where you want to get to.

If it is of use to you are welcome to pop in to the studio for a chat sometime, just give me a bit of notice! 

I really like the letters you had cut and turned into badges, what are they made of?

Regards

Giles


-------------------------------------------------------------------




Thanks for your quick reply Giles, 


The brooches are lazer cut from perspex, so quick and easy to make but people seem to love them which is great.

Would love to pop down to you studio for a chat, would be very useful to see a professional studio at work as that's one think they cant teach us, even if they try. Is there any days that are better for you or shall I just pop down at any point (with notice of course) 

Thanks again Giles 

Regards 



Rebecca Liggins
BA (Hons) Graphic Design
Leeds College of Art
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Rebecca

no probs. I am not a traditional studio, as I work as myself often remotely with bigger companys - it was a lifestyle choice a few years ago. I have worked in bigger agencies, but got a bit fed up with it.  I am based in the old YTV Emmerdale / Heartbeat TV studio in Farsley Leeds, I rent space out of a large commercial photographer here which is good - nice to have other people around!

Fridays are pretty good, they tend to be a bit quieter. Would be happy to look through your folio and chat.

Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment